The Great American Smokeout® held the third Thursday of November each year is an opportunity to celebrate our colleagues who have quit smoking and extend a hand to those who haven’t started their journey. We know that quitting smoking isn’t easy. It takes a plan, time and support.
Founded on education and outreach, the Tobacco Free Yale initiative sparked a journey for Yale to become a smoke and tobacco free campus and foster a culture to support efforts to quit.
We share this update with highlights of our efforts:
- Onsite programming has created a culture where our employees are empowering their colleagues to quit smoking.
- Extensive cessation resources have been developed for faculty, staff and students.
- Over 7,500 people have visited the Tobacco Free Yale website with 20,190 page views.
- Our video series, We Quit, So Can You celebrating colleagues’ cessation success stories, has been viewed over 4,400 times.
- Over 100 employees have actively worked with our tobacco cessation coaches with more than a third of them reaching their 6 month quit anniversary.
In addition, we’ve worked with our own tobacco researchers and experts to update our policy which lists the prohibited substances and devices that are detrimental to health. Thank you for supporting this on-going effort to create a healthier environment for us all.